As you know, a garage door has two main components: the door and the opener. This article will walk you through some simple steps to help you fix any small problems. The overhead garage doors can roll up in sections or otherwise, swing up in single piece and operate on the garage door spring. In order to function, doors move on the metal tracks located on the garage walls, and spring, which provides power. Most of the times when doors do not work, the garage door repairs should be quite simple and you can do them yourself:
- The first things you can check are the metal tracks and mounting brackets holding tracks to walls. Tighten the loose bolts and screws at brackets. Examine closely tracks for flat spots, crimps or dents. In case you notice any bumps, dents, or debris, pound those out using a rubber mallet or a hammer. However, if the tracks are very damaged you should call a Heber City garage door repair company and have them replace damaged tracks.
- Another thing you can check is if tracks are aligned properly. The horizontal tracks must slant down slightly toward the back of the garage. Vertical track sections should be plumb with the roll-up doors. Tracks must have the same height on the garage walls. As a Lehi Utah garage door service company, Intermountain Doors can help you align the tracks on you garage door.
- Tracks cleaning can be done with concentrated household cleaners, which are perfect for removing dirt or hardened grease. Rollers should be cleaned thoroughly and remember to wipe the rollers.
- You may tighten all the loose hardware after checking. The plates on the swing up doors should be checked near the location where the spring is being mounted to be certain that screws are very tight. Tighten all the loose screws.
- Check all the hinges on the roll up doors. Hinges have to hold sections of the door together and you may tighten loose screws and also replace the damaged hinges. Servicing hinges can be done alone or by a Utah garage door repair company.
- If you find cracked wood you should remove the hinge and also fill in all cracks and screw holes with wood fillers. Wait until the filler is dry and then you can replace all hinges.
- There is another important thing you should take care of. Sometimes, the roll up doors have a single torsion spring which is at center of the door. You should never try to repair it alone, because you can get injured. Call a Utah garage door repair company and they will help you with all your garage door needs.